At the end of this lesson you should be able to:
- Find out why people backbite
- know the effects of it
- know how it can be avoided
Listen to Audio Lesson
What is Backbiting
Malicious talk targeted at someone in the absence of the person.
Harmful talk with an intention to destroy the person.
Reasons why people backbite
- When rebuked by an authority
Be careful not to backbit when rebuked by an authority
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- As a means to destroy an opponent, to win others to one’s side
Another word for backbiting, is called defaming.
Never defame others to look good.
- As a means to communicate one’s displeasure in an environment
Don’t destroy an environment when you leave there.
- As a means to preserve dominance or usurp power.
Do not be controlling in an environment because everyone is in to serve.
- Product of an Inferiority Complex
Effects of Backbiting
- It causes anger and hatred amongst people
- Drives away the Presence of God
- It fights organizational growth
Prayer about Backbiting
- Ask God for forgiveness for anytime you have backbitten anyone or in any environment especially in the church
- Ask God to deliver you from any backbiting spirit
- Ask God for the spirit of wisdom