HONOUR VS. EMOTIONS, CHOOSE ONE.
Every Gospel Musician Must Read this story
3 Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
4 Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father’s bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch.
This is a very sad story of a young man; a supposed-to-be-good guy called Reuben, at the point of his father, Jacob’s death
In the chapter 35 of Genesis, Racheal, Jacob’s beloved second wife had died during the birth of her second son.
We know how Jacob loved Rachael and he was willing to serve 14 years just to marry her in spite of being tricked by his father in-law.
In the earlier years, to keep up with the competition of producing children, Racheal gave her maid called Bilhah to Jacob as a wife to produce children, Dan and Naphtali.
Reuben’s mother, Leah was not that loved, even though she had birthed Jacob many sons.
Now at a time while Jacob is probably still mourning Racheal, in verse 22 of chapter 35, Reuben goes to have sex with Jacob’s wife, Bilhah, his step mother.
Israel, his father, heard the news! But He never said a word about it.
Ei, Reuben! Why???. Of all the women in the world???
Interestingly, Reuben attempted some good stuff after that:
1. Suggesting to his brothers in Genesis chapter 37, verse 21, not to kill Joseph, but rather to put him in a pit, so that he could rescue him later
2. Trading the life of his sons for the life of his father’s last born, Benjamin, when Joseph requested him to be brought to Egypt.
Well maybe he was just trying to be responsible as a first born or he was actually trying to redeem the relationship with his father.
Unfortunately both did not work out for him
One act of lust brought Reuben curses during a time of blessing.
He forgot that his father was not just Jacob, but Israel, God’s anointed
Sleeping with Bilhah was directly spiting Jacob’s choice of Rachael as his beloved;
Like piercing a dagger into Jacob’s heart; this was unpardonable.
1. Never disrespect your earthly father, God is watching
2. Never disrespect a Man of God, God is watching
3. Never dishonour any authority that has the capacity to bless you
4. Never place your emotions above principle
5. Let your quest to render honour rather drive your emotions
6. Honour is more important than gift or talent
Heavenly Father, please deliver me from deadly sins of lust and dishonour
In Jesus Name, Amen!