At the end of this lesson you should be able to:
- Know what faith is
- Why faith is important in the life of a believer and minister
- Know the enemies of faith
There are so many initiatives in ministry, yet there are many more failures than successes according to statistics. This makes it evident that something critical is missing. Today we study about the importance of faith in succeeding as a music minister.
WHAT IS FAITH?
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Faith is the bedrock upon which the Works of God are wrought.
WHY IS FAITH SO IMPORTANT IN THE LIFE OF A MINISTER? (Hebrews 11:6)
- Without it, you cannot overcome the world. (1 John 5:4)
- Without is you cannot inherit promises (Hebrews 6:12)
- Prayer is not productive without faith (James 1:6 – ask in faith without wavering…)
THINGS WE MUST KNOW ABOUT FAITH
- Faith is an unseen (spiritual) but real force (like gravity); you do not see it, but you experience its effect.
- It is also a walk, not just a talk (2 Corinthians 5:7).
- Faith is the language of the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 4:13 – believe and speak)
- Faith must be in God’s Word and not in self, human ability or anything else. (Num 23:19 – God is not
a man to lie)
- Faith is in levels and it can increase or decrease (Luke 17:5 – increase our faith)
- Faith is increased by God’s Word (Romans 10:17)
- Faith is seen in constant confession; Faith Talks (Joel 3:10 – Let the weak say…)
NOTE SOME EXAMPLES OF THE APPLICATION OF FAITH:
- Divine health – Matthew 8:5-10, Matthew 9:22, Matthew 9:29
- Authority over Nature – Mark 11:21,22,
- Forgiveness of sins – Luke 5:17-20
- Forgiving your neighbor – Luke 17:3-7
- Divine Intervention – Luke 18:1-8
- Deliverance – Luke 18:41,42
- Salvation – Ephesians 2:8
- Church Growth – Acts 6:7, Acts 16:5
DEALING WITH THE ENEMIES OF FAITH
Faith will always be fought by fear and doubt; and the primary place to identify this is in excuses.
Excuses destroy faith. The following are areas in which you have to exercise faith.
- Deal with Internal Forces. Where can you find these forces?
- The Spirit (heart and mind – Prov 4:23, Rom 12:2, Ps. 119:130 – let your heart and mind be filled
and directed by God’s word)
- The Soul (emotions – Ps. 42:5 – hope thou in God – Let your emotions respond to God’s Word)
- The Body (health – Joel 3:10 – let the weak say… – let your body respond to God’s word, not )
- Deal with External Forces. Which forces are these?
- Work: This includes schooling as well.
(Wisdom for time management – Ecc. 10:10; – manage your time well during your secular job)
(Luke 9:60; Mathew 12:46-50 – Spiritual family supersedes natural family)
(John 15:15 – I call you friends – never allow your associates to become a hindrance to your
faith. Only walk with like-minded people who respect your faith-based decisions; these are the ones
you can call friends)
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen